Monday, May 2, 2011

First Time Out

I decided to start a blog about our boys. David, 11, and Kyle, 5. While we have probably your average number of family members, that's where many of our similarities end with other families. David is one of so many children that are believed to have a genetic abnormality that has gone undiagnosed. He is 11 years old, but mentally he has capabilities of an infant. He is also profoundly deaf, has no form of oral communication, and does not have the capability to use sign language. My husband, Michael, and myself have fine tuned our abilities to understand his needs based on his behavior. All that said, he is one of the best little boys that I have ever met (maybe a bit biased, but I think many would agree with me!) He may not have the capability to speak words, but his smile expresses all the love in the world. That is all I need from him to make my day a little brighter.
My youngest son, Kyle, is another huge bright spot in our lives. He is an average and typically developing 5 year old who, at times, can be the sweetest boy in the world. At other times, he can be extremely stubborn and defiant, but I wouldn't have it any other way. For the 6 years in between the boys, I didn't know if I'd be able to experience the things that others get to experience with typically developing children. So GRATEFUL is the word that comes to mind when I think of Kyle. Grateful that he is mine and grateful that I get to have such a wonderful life with the family that I love so much. Is it all sunshine and roses? Definitely not. But would I change it? Not for anything in this world. My kids wouldn't be MY kids if they weren't who they already are!

No comments:

Post a Comment