Saturday, April 7, 2012

Growing Up Is Hard To Do

Kyle turns 6 next month. I love him so much and just cannot fathom that he is going to be 6.  He is discovering who he is and trying to figure out where he's going. He is almost finished with kindergarten. While sometimes it has been a challenge for him (talking, talking, in class), he has learned a lot of great things and picked up on some not so great things. He's never been exposed to such an array of different kids that are all "typically developing" kids. Our house is pretty unexciting and drama free compared to a classroom of 5 & 6 year olds. His reading skills are starting to develop. He can write sentences. He knows his address and phone number. Still working on shoe tying, but it's coming along. He is so far from perfect, yet a perfectionist. He is undeniably ALL boy. Dirt, trucks, tractors, guns. Those things are his favorite things.
He is always talking about turning 16 and driving. He's talking about getting married and moving away (SCARY). He was even playing "restaurant" a month or so ago and his dad was the waiter. When asked what he would like to drink with his "meal", he asked for a "beer" and said to Michael, "Just pretend I'm 21, ok?" I don't even know how he KNEW he had to be 21 to order that!
Don't get me wrong. I'm excited to get to watch him grow up. Mentally and physically. It's been a different roller coaster ride for me with Kyle than with David. In fact, my journey with David wouldn't even be considered a roller coaster ride. More like bumper cars with all the unexpected bumps, lurches, and crashes. Mentally David will never grow up. But Kyle is doing it right before my eyes. Sometimes I just want to tell him not to be in such a hurry. Take the time to enjoy it. What I wouldn't give to go back and be a kid sometimes. Not to have the stress and worries that come with being an adult. Just to be footloose and fancy free.
He still has a long way to go before he gets his license, or orders that first beer. (Pray for my sanity when those days come.) For now, his biggest worry is to decide whether or not to have a monster truck party or an Army party for his birthday!
And my biggest worry is what question he will ask me next about life. Sometimes great questions and sometimes HARD questions!




No comments:

Post a Comment