Monday, December 31, 2012

A Look Back

Another year has come and gone. It's hard to believe that 2012 is gone already. Life is short. Things really do pass us by.

As I look back on the past year, I see so much good. Life always hands us lemons occasionally, but I tried my best to turn it into lemon aid.

2012 gave me a 12 year old boy. David Webb really hasn't hit many more milestones in his life, but has continued to give me the blessing of a forever innocence that I would never have stumbled on if it weren't for the presence of him in my life. We will always have our challenges with him. 2013 will give me a child with the mental age of an infant stuck in a teenage body. We have already seen signs of frustration from him with what is only going to continue to become a larger frustration for him as his body develops into a teenager while his mind stays behind. We will just have to take the challenge head on and try to help him deal with all that is going on within him.


Kyle turned 6 in the spring and lost his first tooth. Looking at how much he's grown this year is crazy. He hasn't gained much weight, but he has gotten taller. Mentally, I think he is also turning into a teenage boy. He has mastered door slamming and the word "Whatever". But he can also be very mature when he wants to be. And he loves us. And his brother. He tells me every day.





We made our annual trip to South Carolina again this year. While it brought a week of fun and sun, the trip home brought us the realization that we now have two children that tend to get car sick!






Our summer at home was pretty good. We got a small pool at home so we don't have to drag David out to the local pools. He loves the pool, but we have noticed that he has about a 20-30 minute tolerance of being in the water before he gets really tired and is finished. Having the pool at home allows him to have the time in the pool and then he can get out and play in his room while we finish our swim. This way he doesn't have to sit in the heat while waiting for his brother to finish swimming. And boy oh boy, has Kyle turned into a fish!
We also spent a few days at the lake at my parent's house. Even with the LOW water levels, the kids had fun as usual!


At the end of July, my youngest sister and her husband welcomed their baby to this world. Sophie Autumn was born with shockingly large amounts of hair and even at 5 months, she still has a ton!


The fall season brought the loss of our great tans (tear) and the beginning of the school year. Kyle is already in first grade. I am still in shock over this revelation! And David would've began 7th grade this year, but is still in his class with other special education students.

Kyle became a Tiger Cub this year. So far, he really likes the activities he has been able to enjoy. This is a boy who needs to be kept BUSY!

And of course, there are always lots of smiles when David is well and in a wonderful mood!

Winter is now upon us and the holidays are close to being over. This was a tough December for us. On the 10th, we had to say goodbye to Max, our 15 year old springer spaniel. He was our first child. MY dog. He didn't care for Michael much sometimes. Michael left for Kosovo for 7 months 3 days after I found out I was pregnant with David, and it was just Max & I for most of my pregnancy. Max took it upon himself to become my protector during that time. I still miss him terribly and it is sometimes still a surprise to not see him lying right next to the bed all night. But his arthritis over the past year really came to a head at the beginning of the month and he could no longer walk. I know he's not in pain anymore. That puts me at peace.


The kids must've been ok  for the return of Santa. They made out like bandits as usual and I never know how I will top it the next year. Luckily with Kyle's ever changing interests, it doesn't seem to pose a problem with him. David will continue to be a challenge to shop for though.

Of course all the good came with some bad. I could sit and reflect on all of it, but I won't. I can't change the past, and I do not know what the next year holds. I have decided that as long as I am doing what I believe to be the best I can for us, I will not worry about what others think of decisions I have made. Our pediatrician told us the other day that if it doesn't keep you up at night, not to worry about choices you've made. Probably the best advice I've been given all year.
I am not one for New Year's Resolutions.  I can never think of one specific goal to make and keep at. I think the world would be a better place if we could just all sit back and reflect on how to be better people. Take a minute and pay it forward. As soon as I finish this, I am going to take the first step to do that for a person that has done a lot for us this year.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment