Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sorry

Today I was making small talk with a repair man at work. He had been there before when I've had the boys at work with me and was asking me a little about them. When I told him a little more about David, he replied with "I'm so sorry."  I replied back with "Please don't be sorry for us."

I truly don't want people to feel sorry for us.  While I didn't ask for a special needs child, this child was chosen for Michael & I to raise and love. I am absolutely NOT sorry that we had him at all. When I was pregnant with David, I had so many dreams. Those dreams didn't come true, but I have so many other dreams now.  Dreams of acceptance. Dreams of awareness. Dreams of loving all needs.

Occasionally I feel sorry for the things that we can't do. I feel badly for Kyle because there are things that we have had to skip out on because of accessibility issues. Or David having a bad day.  I wish I could change the way I feel, but I'm human and go through human emotions just like everyone else. And while I feel sorry for certain things, I do not feel sorry for who we are. Because we are us.

 


 I am lucky enough to be able to love my special needs child along with a much more typically developing child with his own struggles with ADHD.  Some days are really tough. Most days are really good. And some days are just in between. For both the boys.



The journey we're on has so many days that are unpredicted still. I can't wait to see what God has in store for us next.

You don't have to feel sorry for us. But I will always accept & appreciate prayers for us & these two kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment