Tuesday, October 18, 2011

October is Disability Awareness Month

I just wanted to say that October is Disability Awareness Month. Here are some things that you could do to spread awareness about disabilities:

♥ Start a Conversation ♥ Read a book to a group of children that emphasizes difference and fosters acceptance ♥ Share a personal story ♥ Pass on information about a disability ♥ Acceptance begins with a Smile : )

My friend's 8 year old son used to be unsure around David. Now that he's around him on a regular basis, I think his awareness level has heightened. Kelly called me a few days ago to tell me that her son has started playing ball with the 2 wheelchair bound kids in his school and she wanted to thank me for allowing my child to touch her child's life. It felt good to know that David is helping spread awareness just by being him :)

Remember that if children are made aware early in life, they will be better people later in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment