Thursday, May 11, 2017

Are You a Teacher?


I guess this week is Teacher Appreciation Week. Or maybe it was last week. I was a little confused about what days it all went down on.


Have you been one of my children's teachers? Or aides? Then this post is for you.

Let's start with the youngest.

In his early school days:
If you've ever had to move mountains to get him to just move at anything other than a snail's pace to go to recess, PE, lunch, library, or to complete work-You are my hero. Believe me. I've done it and I know it wasn't easy. I can remember my mom coming home from grandparent's day in kindergarten to tell me that he was the slowest one in the class on a project.

If you've ever encouraged his strong love of reading-You are my hero. First and second grades were when he became a reading machine. And he still loves reading.

If you've ever had to approach us as parents to tell us that he is unable to focus on work if there are ANY distractions at all (like chairs moving in the room above his)-You are my hero. It was the last thing I'm sure you wanted to do. It was the last thing I wanted to hear. You handled us trying numerous oils, behavioral rewards and consequences, and classroom modifications before we took the plunge of trying medication. And you made us feel better by telling us how great he was doing and how changed he was after starting that medication.

If you've ever just let him have a year with no drama, no calling us, just taking care of business in class and letting him and us just take a little bit of a breather-You are my hero. He began to spread his wings a little bit that year and just be him.

If you've ever encouraged him to do a voluntary report on any subject he could (he chose tigers)-You are my hero. Because getting him to do anything "extra" in schoolwork is a challenge. I know it and you know it. But because you made it fun and rewarded him, he loved it.

If you've ever had to spend 45 minutes on the phone with me trying to come up with a plan to help him deal with the loss of our dog-You are my hero. That was a super difficult time for all of us. Thank you for helping us through it. And we made it together.

If you've ever taken an interest in something he loves to do and not let him just be a "backseat passenger" in your classroom-You are my hero.

If you've ever ran a 5K with him, and probably slowed your own time down by keeping an eye on a little person while running-You are my hero. That made him feel like a complete rock star for at least a week, despite it not being his best time.

I so appreciate every one of these teacher that have made an impact on Kyle's life in some way or another.


And let's move on to the old one. This could get interesting. These teachers and aides do so much that I couldn't do.....

This will all cover all years. Because while David's body has grown, his mind has not. So it will just cover you all.

If you've ever been peed on, pooped on, or puked on by my son and not cursed at me or him while he was doing it-You are a Saint. For real. Because I know that choice words come out of my mouth when that happens here. It isn't a good time, there's not finding the silver lining. It's just all gross in general. And if you have cursed me at those times-then you're human and I totally don't blame you.

If you've ever just changed his diaper in general-You are my hero. Because it is one less for me to change. And because he can now throat-kick you in the process and cause temporary loss of breathing.

And somewhat related to the last part of that one.
If you've ever been bitten, hit, scratched, kicked, punched, head-butted, etc by my child. First-I'm sorry. Second-You are my hero. I've gone through all of those. It sucks. But he's mine which makes it a little easier. But he's NOT yours. And you still like him.

If you've ever had a pediasure or ensure shower because of my child's wild ways during a feeding-You are my hero. It means you've probably gone the rest of the day smelling of vanilla formula. And being sticky. Ensure showers are something you just need a real shower to feel clean and un-sticky afterwards.

If you've ever called me a little panicked because there was just something not quite right, but you couldn't put your finger on it-You are my hero. It means you know him well enough to know that he's not quite right. We are a small club in regards to knowing him so well inside and out.

If you've laughed with him and loved on him-You are my hero. His quality of life is my number one goal for him. You are an essential part to his quality and we love you all for it.


If you are a teacher, but never been a teacher of my kids----You are still my hero. Because I almost guarantee that you've gone through a lot of those things my kids' teachers have gone through. I'll be honest and say I hope most of what you relate to are the top part of my post---but either way----you do so much for our youth. And I hope you're student's parents appreciate you on any given day.

Happy Teacher's Appreciation Week!
(Or was it last week???)





No comments:

Post a Comment